K9academy
Batteries Not Included K9acad10
K9academy
Batteries Not Included K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Batteries Not Included

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

Batteries Not Included Vide
PostSubject: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 2:36 pm

We live in the age of technology. A world of entertainment and convenience at our fingertips, on demand movies and entertainment, 24 hour shopping online, pills to help us sleep when we need it, fresh produce of any kind regardless of the season, cars and jets to take us where we want to go in mere hours. You get the picture, we’re pretty used to getting what we want when we want it, on our schedules.

However, some things in life do not come with a power switch or auto-programming options, and a dog is one of them.

Lots of people want their dogs to “behave” or to be “fixed” by training, but are not willing to put in the work to teach said dog exactly what that means. Dogs don’t inherently know what we humans expect of them, they’ve dog their own doggie-rules of conduct built in that include things like barking at squirrels, and sniffing butts. If we want dogs to learn human rules, we’ve got to take the time to teach and reinforce them, period.

Learning takes investment - time and repetition. There are no quick fixes when dealing with living beings. There are no short cuts or secrets either. I was going to say that dogs don’t come with remote controls, but in our age of technology you actually can get a remote control trainer for a dog, but thing is (and what most people who go that route don’t realize) that even that remote trainer, which does unpleasant things to your best friend, is not a miracle worker! It’s just another tool that must be used properly to be effective. Just because it has batteries doesn’t mean it’s a quick fix, or the best way to go.

I think a lot of people choose to use shock collars on dogs because they think it’s going to be an easy way to train.

Recently a trainer friend of mine had a client ask if a shock collar could “fix” a dog that brings mud and sticks through the door. Huh? Over the years I’ve learned that “fix” to many dog owners just means the absence of behavior. People who think in these terms don’t really want their dog to “do” anything. They’d prefer to be able to turn their dog on and off like they do most of their other toys. Trained by the age of technology and convenience, people seem to have lost the desire/ability to follow through and do what it takes to get things done right.

Animals have needs and requirements that must be met; you can’t just stop behavior, shut a dog down. Stopping an unwanted is just one piece of the training puzzle; you’ve got to replace it with an exceptable alternative that simultaneously meets the dog’s needs. Otherwise you’ll get a behavioral pressure cooker that will eventually burst.

The truth is that dogs are living beings, on 24/7 and if you’re not willing or able to take on that kind of commitment perhaps you should get a Pleo instead, you can put him in the closet when you can’t be bothered and yet he’ll interact with you when you feel like being entertained. None of the responsibility and all of the fun, just like your gaming system.

Kelly G. Dunbar @ Dogstardaily
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 3:05 pm

How very true.

I have always tried to teach ppl that a dog is like a child. They require guidance from the first day of life until the last day of life.

I actually have a neighbor (the same one i memtioned in a prevous post) who thinks that he should be able to train his dog once and he should remember it forever! Then exploads when the dog does something wrong. On to top that, the family is WAY to busy to spend the needed time to make the dog understand. Mark my words, if things dont change soon, this dog will be out of control.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 3:13 pm

My question is always WHY? I don't understand...if they don't have time then why get a dog? Heh, boy your neighbor is in for a reality check if he thinks that dogs only need to be trained once. Nervous
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Steven_L wrote:
My question is always WHY? I don't understand...if they don't have time then why get a dog? Heh, boy your neighbor is in for a reality check if he thinks that dogs only need to be trained once. Nervous
I think the answer (or reason) is the same as most uninformed owners who get dogs. They buy them as an accessory or a lawn orniment, or even a property guard. The really DONT GET IT ... Unfortunately, in most cases, they never will.

This family has had 4 dogs that I know of, and they have given all but one of them away because they have become distructive or unruley. But the next one is always "Going to Be Different this Time" ... but it never is! At this point, the current dog (smart as a wip) would take me a month to get under control if I worked with it 3 sessions per day. As it stands, I refur to the dog as "the neighborhood cannon ball" Shocked
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Hehehe Cannon Ball? Why is that?
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Steven_L wrote:
Im sure that you have heard the expression "He's a loose cannon"??? If not: In the old days ships had cannons mounted on deck to protect the ship from pirates. If the cannon wasnt tied down it could role freely and if it went off it could do damage to the ship.

In the same way, if a cannon ball was not secure, it could role around a hurt someone if it hit them ... This dog is our neighborhhod cannon ball!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Betterdog4u wrote:
Steven_L wrote:
Im sure that you have heard the expression "He's a loose cannon"??? If not: In the old days ships had cannons mounted on deck to protect the ship from pirates. If the cannon wasnt tied down it could role freely and if it went off it could do damage to the ship.

In the same way, if a cannon ball was not secure, it could role around a hurt someone if it hit them ... This dog is our neighborhhod cannon ball!!! affraid

Nope never heard that one, heh makes complete sense ROFL
Back to top Go down
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
schnauzkyLVR

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 5:51 pm

it's unfortunate when people get dogs and don't train them properly and think that they will learn on their own and it wont be a lot of work. i dont have children yet but i know it's LIKE having a child. you teach it, watch it grow, feed it, love it, take care of it...etc...

you need to be responsible and cant just get a dog because it's "cute" ,....you can't be neglectful..
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 11:04 pm

schnauzkyLVR wrote:

you need to be responsible and cant just get a dog because it's "cute" ,....you can't be neglectful..

You are absolutely correct, unfortunately it happens more than it should, especially during these festive days (X-mas and birthdays to be exact).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Batteries Not Included   Batteries Not Included Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Batteries Not Included

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Training and Behavior -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com