K9academy
What should you do when you see Animal Abuse? K9acad10
K9academy
What should you do when you see Animal Abuse? K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What should you do when you see Animal Abuse?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

What should you do when you see Animal Abuse? Vide
PostSubject: What should you do when you see Animal Abuse?   What should you do when you see Animal Abuse? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:45 pm

On several dogs sites that I visit (including this one) I read posts about people (even a few "so called" trainers) jurking, hitting, throwing stuff, kicking or even just yelling at their dogs.

What do you feel is the line between exceptible correction and abuse?

If you witness what you feel is abuse, what actions should you take? and when?

Last edited by Betterdog4u on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
schnauzkyLVR

PostSubject: Re: What should you do when you see Animal Abuse?   What should you do when you see Animal Abuse? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 3:42 pm

talk to the person who is doing it first, nicely suggest a different way of training their dog, without harming them, suggest a book or video, or website...and if that doesnt help or if its really severe and its obvious that the pet has been enduring it a while, report them
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: What should you do when you see Animal Abuse?   What should you do when you see Animal Abuse? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Well see thats the difficult part...drawing a line. If that line were distinguishable and didn't vary from person to person then we could simply make it against the law (or training standards) not to use this set of corrections.

In my opinion, as someone that advocates the usage of non aversive techniques FIRST, I would say that the line between inhumane treatment and a correct is a sharp tug on the leash. Thats as aversive as I think one should get. But once again it varies. If emotions are ruling the severity of the correction (which they shouldn't never) then its inhumane no matter the correction. Why? Because emotions cloud judgement and are usually done out of frustration and not the better good of the dog or to teach him to do or not to do something.

As I've heard it many time put: a dog can do a number of things wrong but one thing right (in most cases), so why bother correcting on all the wrong things when instead you can give praise for the ONE correct action. It saves time and it saves the bond you hold with your dog.

Now as for what you should do if you see inhumane treatment. The correct thing would be to contact the trainer or owner (although most will think they know more than you). Next, maybe call animal control to report mistreatment of animals. If possible take out your cell and take a few snap shots.
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should you do when you see Animal Abuse?   What should you do when you see Animal Abuse? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What should you do when you see Animal Abuse?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Miscellaneous Forums :: General Chat -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com