K9academy
Distractions K9acad10
K9academy
Distractions K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Distractions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

Distractions Vide
PostSubject: Distractions   Distractions Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Its always important to add distractions into one's training schedule, otherwise how will a dog hold up a command when all of a sudden he/she is faced with a situation they haven't experienced before? Of course we always want to set our dog's up for success and reward the good behavior (unlike 50's training techniques where you set your dog up for failure), so we want to start small.

So lets brainstorm some good distractions that we can add to our training. Think of some low motivating ones and some distractions that will take more self control (of course it differs).

Have at it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

Distractions Vide
PostSubject: Re: Distractions   Distractions Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 pm

IMO, some of the best places to proof a dog are ballparks and playgrounds. Not necessarily right in the fracas, but starting at a distance and moving closer and closer. Ballparks typically have multiple ages of people making all sorts of noises, food, helmets, bats, faceguards. kids running, etc.
When training for TDI, we use all sorts of hats, umbrellas, people eating food, wheelchairs and walkers.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

Distractions Vide
PostSubject: Re: Distractions   Distractions Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 pm

I use the entry area at Petco and PetSmart and I also use the local Farmers Markets. I can adjust the distraction by moving closer or further away from the door or from the walk areas.

I also ask the help of some of the neighbor kids.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

Distractions Vide
PostSubject: Re: Distractions   Distractions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 4:24 pm

I agree with you guys. Places frequently visited by dogs and people are a good idea. How about dogs who you are barely starting to condition? What kind of minor distractions would you suggest?
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

Distractions Vide
PostSubject: Re: Distractions   Distractions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Steven_L wrote:
I agree with you guys. Places frequently visited by dogs and people are a good idea. How about dogs who you are barely starting to condition? What kind of minor distractions would you suggest?

Playgrounds and dog parks from a distance ... study
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

Distractions Vide
PostSubject: Re: Distractions   Distractions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Yes, the same, playgrounds, ballparks from a distance. When they can see and hear the noises and be relaxed, you move in a little closer. If you see forward posture or muscles tensing, you move back a step. With Lib it took me about 4 months, 1-2 hours twice a week. Now I'm completely comfortable with her running beside the grandkids. There was a time when I wondered if that would ever happen.
Back to top Go down
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
schnauzkyLVR

Distractions Vide
PostSubject: Re: Distractions   Distractions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:03 pm

playgrounds, parks, and dog parks (fro a distance at first) are great. I also live in the city ..so walking around downtown or close by is also good for my dog Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Distractions Vide
PostSubject: Re: Distractions   Distractions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Distractions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Training and Behavior -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com