K9academy
Debate of Socialization & Health K9acad10
K9academy
Debate of Socialization & Health K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Debate of Socialization & Health

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

Debate of Socialization & Health Vide
PostSubject: Debate of Socialization & Health   Debate of Socialization & Health Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm sure many of you know that socialization is extremely important, but at the same time so is keeping the pup healthy. Most pups aren't fully vaccinated till after they've passed the stage where socialization has its greatest impact which is 12 weeks of age. There are some that say that its important to socialize and that taking the pup out is important to be able to raise a well balanced dog, but yet others say that you are putting a pup at risk by taking him out without being fully vaccinated.

What do you guys things? Do you think that you can do one thing without jeopardizing another?
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Debate of Socialization & Health   Debate of Socialization & Health Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Absolutely. I've been introducing Baloo to many people of all ages, shapes, sizes and color. He's becoming used to seeing umbrellas, hats, bulky clothing. He's perfectly calm when he hears a child squeal or cry, he knows that megaphones, microphones, vacuum sweepers, upside down furniture, wheelchairs, walkers, brooms, falling aluminum cans, and car horns are probably harmless. The garbage truck is no longer scary, in fact, it has some fabulous smells permeating from it. I don't think he particularly likes the carwash, but he's sitting still and watching the big brushes go all around the car. He's met two other dogs besides his new brother and sister, both belonging to friends. One of his best buddies is a guinea pig. He now enjoys a nice bath, he takes a nap while I trim his toenails, and he's tolerating having his teeth brushed.
He has NOT been to a dog park yet, nor has he been allowed to walk through the vet's office or meet any animals there. Nevertheless, I'd say he's pretty well socialized for a 4 month old pup.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Debate of Socialization & Health   Debate of Socialization & Health Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 pm

You can socialize a puppy without putting a pup at risk by taking him out without being fully vaccinated. Introducing a puppy to all kinds of THINGS (cars, ppl, wheelchairs etc) can give a puppy a good start until all of the vaccinations are done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Debate of Socialization & Health   Debate of Socialization & Health Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 4:28 am

You can take a pup out into society without putting them at risk and see new things from the safety of a vehicle. We've watched kids sledding, watched trains go buy, firetrucks pulling out of the station with sirens blaring, a helicopter taking off at the hospital, kids waiting at the bus stop (which he DID react to a bit fearfully the first time he saw that big bus swallow them up, but was happy to see them come back out at the end of the day!).
I would not have my pup stand out in the middle of a busy highway, nor would I put his life at risk by taking him around other dogs that are potential carriers of diseases that he is not yet immune to. I don't see any advantage there.
Socialization is all about exposing a pup (or dog) to things in the environment that he might react to fearfully at some point in time. It's not just about meeting other dogs, and it doesn't mean you need to put your pup or dog in a dangerous situation.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Debate of Socialization & Health   Debate of Socialization & Health Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:58 am

Ann wrote:
You can take a pup out into society without putting them at risk and see new things from the safety of a vehicle. We've watched kids sledding, watched trains go buy, firetrucks pulling out of the station with sirens blaring, a helicopter taking off at the hospital, kids waiting at the bus stop (which he DID react to a bit fearfully the first time he saw that big bus swallow them up, but was happy to see them come back out at the end of the day!).
I would not have my pup stand out in the middle of a busy highway, nor would I put his life at risk by taking him around other dogs that are potential carriers of diseases that he is not yet immune to. I don't see any advantage there.
Socialization is all about exposing a pup (or dog) to things in the environment that he might react to fearfully at some point in time. It's not just about meeting other dogs, and it doesn't mean you need to put your pup or dog in a dangerous situation.
Well said!!! That was were i was going with my post, but you explained it much better!!! 2 pts
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Debate of Socialization & Health   Debate of Socialization & Health Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm

I agree, very well explained. It really does seem like you can get a lot of socialization done by keeping him inside a car and allowing him to experience them there. I've heard some people take their pups on strolls from inside a wagon too. If you really think about it there is lots you can do without having to expose the pup to any diseases. Afterall anything is better than nothing at all and running the risk of raising an undersocialized dog.
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
schnauzkyLVR

PostSubject: Re: Debate of Socialization & Health   Debate of Socialization & Health Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Depends on the dog. It's ok for them to see dogs when taking them for a walk, but i would avoid dog parks because if not vaccinated, they can get very sick. Just allow them to see other dogs fro afar, and if others want to say hi, i would just politely tell the people that he isnt vaccinated all the way or if you are ok with it, then go for it.

when vaccines are taken care of, hit up the dog parks little by little.

socialization is very important. i agree with you guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate of Socialization & Health   Debate of Socialization & Health Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Debate of Socialization & Health

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Health -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com