K9academy
FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? K9acad10
K9academy
FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Vide
PostSubject: FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?   FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 7:13 pm

(Search Engine Inquiry for September)

Should you let a dog win a tug o war game? Why or why not?
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?   FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 3:31 pm

I cant believe I missed this one ....

The correct answer is YES

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

.... and NO!

On the YES side:
1) If you have a dog that has low confidence or low self esteem it can help to build it up.

2) For most dog's it is just another activity to pass time.

3) It is a great way for the dog to bond with it's humans and vise-versa.

4) Despite what dominance theory supporters think, letting the dog win at tug-o-war does NOT make your dog think that it's in charge of you.

On the NO side:
Win or loose, It isn't a good Idea to play these kinds of games with dogs who are fearful of ppl, have "guarding" issues or have an aggressive nature.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?   FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm

I think that about covers it ^_^

Only thing I can add is remember to always control the start and end of tug o war play.
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
AnnSmith
Junior Member: lv 5
Junior Member: lv 5
AnnSmith

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?   FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 am

You must let the dog win but give the dog a rough challenge and pat his head afterwards. This will psychologically make him think that he is doing a good job.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?   FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 12:35 pm

I recently heard a "dog trainer" (I use that term very loosely) say that you should NEVER even allow a dog to play tug-o-war and if you do, you should NEVER allow the dog to win b/c it will cause the dog to become dominate and in some cases it will even make them dangerous .... ROFL FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? 258695

I actually chuckled out loud right before I told her she needed to rethink her stand on the issue. Then I asked if she had every seen how Police K9's were trained?

I spent 5 minutes or so talking with her and gave her alot to think about. I hope to hear back from her so day.
Back to top Go down
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?   FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Ha! I've scoffed at advise about never letting a dog win a game of tug for years now. I let mine win at least half of the time, and trust me, they could win every time if they wanted to. None have ever pulled hard enough to take me down, and I've seen them refuse to play at all with small children. It's a flipping game to them, just some fun. It CAN and should be used to build confidence! Under-confident or fearful dogs are the ones that bite.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?   FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Ann wrote:
Ha! I've scoffed at advise about never letting a dog win a game of tug for years now. I let mine win at least half of the time, and trust me, they could win every time if they wanted to. None have ever pulled hard enough to take me down, and I've seen them refuse to play at all with small children. It's a flipping game to them, just some fun. It CAN and should be used to build confidence! Under-confident or fearful dogs are the ones that bite.
I could not agree more!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?   FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Tug O War, let them win or no?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Training and Behavior -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com