K9academy
Crate training schedule K9acad10
K9academy
Crate training schedule K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Crate training schedule

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
maxxonl
Junior Member: lv 4

Crate training schedule Vide
PostSubject: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 pm

I am crate training my almost 4 month old puppy. I am not sure if I am doing this right. I am taking her out every 3 hours outside to do her business except of course at bedtime. After she goes, I let her have playtime or a walk for 45 minutes . Then I crate her. My main question is how and when do I transition her off this schedule. I really don't have an area for her to use inside the house to use with the crate as I have seen mentioned in several articles. I don't think she is ready for longer periods in the crate yet. I feel my life is really limited with this schedule.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Yes it might seem a bit limiting at first, however with this schedule your pup will get the idea that she is to do her business outside and only outside. With time she'll alert you when she needs to go (this can be done by barking, pawing at you or even pacing at the door).

The way you slowly start moving away from this schedule is simply by extending the time she's in the crate. Maybe 15-30 minute increments every other day or so? This will slowly get her accustomed to being in the crate longer times. Eventually you'll only have to take her out maybe twice a day.

However you don't want to leave her in the crate all day. She should be able to have some liberty at home (within your restrictions) or at least be free to roam out in the yard. Is this what you mean by not having an "area" to leave her in? I'm confused as to what you mean by that. Basically what I'm asking is, where do you plan to leave your dog while not in the crate?
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 2:25 pm

When she's not in the crate, I take her outside first to do her business. Then twice a day I take her for a 10-15 minute walk. Otherwise, she is inside under supervision. I had read that since you really shouldn't leave the dog in the crate for more than 4 hours except at night, you should have an area which is enclosed where you can place the crate with the door open and have papers on the floor, in case. I also think that would make the training go backwards, no? She had an accident recently in the past couple of days. Should I lessen the amount of free time outside the crate. I was told if she regresses, then you regress.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Yes unless you absolutely need to, don't use potty pads inside. It can confuse a dog, although eventually they get the hang of it.

Well it seems like you are doing well with the schedule you have now, the walks and the frequent potty outings are right on. Don't worry too much about the occasional accident as with puppies its going to happen. Just make sure that you clean the area real well so that they don't think its ok to go there again (because of the odors).

Well the amount of time you use the crate all depends on what you are doing. If you can't supervise your pup for X amount of time then the pup needs to be in the crate for X amount of time. However if that time is extended then thats when you need to occasionally take the pup out to do her/his business. Otherwise (if this is going to be an inside dog) the pup should be allowed to go in areas where you think is ok to go. Have the crate in an area easily accessable to the pup in case they want to go there to rest. Having the pup leashed to you at all times will help keep her within eyesight so that you can prevent/anticipate an accident.

But yeah the crate in itself is not a house breaking tool, just gives you a place where to put her when she cannot be supervised, it does help in the sense that dogs are less likely to go potty in their crates but thats about it. Its not necessarily more accidents = more crate time. More accidents should mean more supervision or at least more potty outings.

Does that answer your question?
Back to top Go down
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Yes it does. I feel like she can be in the crate for a longer period of time. I am starting to adjust it but boy do I worry she'll have an accident!
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Then I'm glad I was able to help! Yeah for the first few months you might have to worry about accidents but just remember that those are good opportunities to learn from your mistakes and hopefully not repeat them.

Well best of wishes with your pup! Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
AnnSmith
Junior Member: lv 5
AnnSmith

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 7:49 am

Is the dog's crate big? I read an article that a big crate where the dog can have an enough space to walk or run around can relieve you from the work of getting the dog in and out the crate.
Back to top Go down
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Now the puppy is seven months old and she is out of the crate except at night to sleep and sometimes when I need to go somewhere or do something. She just had an accident but they are much fewer like the last one was a month ago. I consider her pretty much housebroken. I still try to take her out every two hours or so to pee. I didn't do that the last time and thus the accident. She has gone I think the longest about 4 hours outside the crate without having an accident. She has anot had an accident in the crate for many months. I do feel like maybe I should get her a bigger crate though because of her size.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 12:40 pm

maxxonl wrote:
Now the puppy is seven months old and she is out of the crate except at night to sleep and sometimes when I need to go somewhere or do something. She just had an accident but they are much fewer like the last one was a month ago. I consider her pretty much housebroken. I still try to take her out every two hours or so to pee. I didn't do that the last time and thus the accident. She has gone I think the longest about 4 hours outside the crate without having an accident. She has anot had an accident in the crate for many months. I do feel like maybe I should get her a bigger crate though because of her size.
The crate needs to be big enough so the dog can stand up, turn around and streach out. If its to small the dog can develop muscle and bone problems as it grows. If it is to big, they will be able to toilet in one end and still be able to lay down in the other.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 7:14 pm

She is just barely stretching out. I really think I will get her a larger crate.Now the problem is that I don't know how big she will grow. Ugg!
Back to top Go down
AnnSmith
AnnSmith

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Like I said, try making a big crate for her about 4x4 meters in length and width. I think that's big enough for any dog.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:29 pm

Sometimes opting for a bigger crate with dividers (to customize it to make it smaller) is usually the best option for when you don't know how big your dog will get.

Do you happen to know what breed your pooch is?
Back to top Go down
dogtrainingsandiego
Junior Member: lv 3
Junior Member: lv 3

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 1:30 am

Thank you for giving the crate training schedule. I am also prefer crate training for my dog, mostly when we shift the to new home.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtrainingsandiegollc.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate training schedule   Crate training schedule Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crate training schedule

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Training and Behavior -
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com