K9academy
Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea K9acad10
K9academy
Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
maxxonl
Junior Member: lv 4

Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Vide
PostSubject: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 8:59 pm

I feel like it's always something with this dog. She has green eye discharge that look like mucous. I went to the vet and she gave her antibiotic steroid eyedrops. It was in her left eye. After the vet visit, she got it in her right eye too. The vet thought it was something that got in her eye but obviously she was wrong. She checked her cornes with dye and ultraviolet light , took her temperature and everything was fine. Now I don't know if this is related but the last 3 times she pooped, she had diarrhea that was very pudding-like. I just changed her food from Nature's Best to Chicken Soup for Puppies Soul. I tried changing over gradually-over the week. Now I don't know what to do. I'm all out of the Nature's Diet. Besides that I thought the Chicken Soup was supposed to be healthier for her. Help! weeping
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:53 pm

I honestly don't think that the diarrhea and the eye discharge are related. The thing in her eye really does seem like some sort of infection so the antibiotics should have worked. Didn't the vet have ANY idea of what it could be?

As for the diarrhea I think that's just related to the food... Some dogs simple just don't stomach certain foods well...whether its supposed to be healthier or not. Try switching to rice, chicken and carrot for a little while to help her stomach settle down. Then start up on the food she was on before (assuming everything was ok when she was on it).
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 7:22 pm

The vet thought it was something in her eye so I am losing trust in her since it is probably contagious since it started up in her other eye. The drops appear to be working. I am going to another vet on Tuesday. She is going to give her met-something-zol lol. She recommended putting her on intestinal diet dog food. I am wondering if that is okay for a puppy since they have different nutritional needs than adults.
Back to top Go down
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 5:53 am

Canned pumpkin (without the spices) will fix the intestinal problem in a hurry, but I'd watch pretty closely to make sure it doesn't continue. The eye problem could have originated from something in the eye, caused an infection that then spread to the other eye. You're right to switch vets if you don't have faith in the first one though. I think it's really important to develop a trusting relationship with your vet and that's hard to do if you're already having doubts.
Back to top Go down
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:42 am

I've been giving her rice and chicken each 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup of the new food and today she actually had normal poop. I have been looking online to see if there are any good quality brand puppy food for sensitive stomachs and I found Natural Balance and Nutro Natural Choice both are supposedly good. Natural Choice makes a puppy food. I think I will try this and be very cautious in changing over.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Ive always used boiled ground beef and rice (the boiling gets the fat out of the meat)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 4:26 pm

I put the chicken in a pot with some water and cook it for a long time. I have been giving her Natural Choice mixed with the rice and chicken and her poop has been very firm. The only thing is I looked up Natural Choice online and there are alot of people who have had problems with Nutro. In particular they mention the beet extract and the vitamin K supplement. The beet stuff supposedly causes ear infections and the vitaminK stuff is bad for the liver. I really hate changiung her food again but I don't want any of those problems and I don't think I can afford to keep making her chicken . What to do?
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:49 am

maxxonl wrote:
The only thing is I looked up Natural Choice online and there are alot of people who have had problems with Nutro. In particular they mention the beet extract and the vitamin K supplement. The beet stuff supposedly causes ear infections and the vitaminK stuff is bad for the liver. I really hate changiung her food again but I don't want any of those problems and I don't think I can afford to keep making her chicken . What to do?
Where did you see the info on beet extract and vit K? I have never heard this. When I got Patchs she was on Nutro. She was 18 months at the time.
Back to top Go down
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 2:54 pm

I think I found that out under the Natural Choice customer reviews. Quick update- I gave her the eyedrops for 7 days then 2 days later she got the green eye gunk again. I gave her one drop each eye and she's been good- its been 2 days now. I'm still feeding her the chicken and rice mixed now only with 1/2 cup Natural Balance. However, I went online and it said the portion for puppies for her weight is 6 cups! I am going to go bankrupt buit she'll have firm poop! LOL. I have also been putting a tablespoon of pumpkin in her food and it has been working very well. Can I continue to use the pumpkin to keep her poop firm?
Back to top Go down
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Pumpkin isn't going to hurt her at all, but you should be able to stop using it within a day or two. If the loose stools still happen after a couple of days, I'd be taking a sample in. I can't imagine feeding a puppy of any size 6 cups of food a day! Or is that twice a day?? Wow.
My puppy is 17 months old, 140 lbs, and he only gets 1.5 cups twice a day.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:42 pm

maxxonl wrote:
I think I found that out under the Natural Choice customer reviews. Quick update- I gave her the eyedrops for 7 days then 2 days later she got the green eye gunk again. I gave her one drop each eye and she's been good- its been 2 days now. I'm still feeding her the chicken and rice mixed now only with 1/2 cup Natural Balance. However, I went online and it said the portion for puppies for her weight is 6 cups! I am going to go bankrupt buit she'll have firm poop! LOL. I have also been putting a tablespoon of pumpkin in her food and it has been working very well. Can I continue to use the pumpkin to keep her poop firm?
6 cups ... OMG, what does you vet say? Patchs is a very high energy dog and I only give her 3.25 cups per day. I feed her Hunter's Edge - Enhanced 28-14
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:44 pm

Oh, BTW she's 44 lbs
Back to top Go down
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:55 pm

I haven't spoken to my vet yet but I told my dog's trainer about the poop problem and she told me sometimes boxers are allergic to chicken. I stopped mixing in the chicken and wouldn't you know no more soft poop! I am going to ask the vet how much I should give her but the food is venison and sweet potato. She said that is what's best for dogs with this problem. The eye gunk is back. So I am waiting to talk to the vet about that too.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Dang sorry to see that you have to go back and forth between these two problems. But that is usually how things are...trial and error. Hopefully you will find what works for you.

The eye problem really should be something related to an infection so I'm wondering why the drops aren't working. Could it be that her tear duct is blocked? I'm not entirely sure it causes those symptoms though...
Back to top Go down
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:14 pm

I've got an appointment tomorrow with a different vet to get a fresh opinion. Meanwhile, I'm using a saline solution to keep her eye area clean. Lert's see what happens.
Back to top Go down
AnnSmith
Junior Member: lv 5
AnnSmith

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 7:34 am

My dog has that green stuff too and my vet recommended an eye drop for dogs to clean the eyes regularly. The green stuff disappeared in days.
Back to top Go down
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Is it over the counter? She just finished another round of antibiotics and so far so good but it wouldn't hurt to find out about that.
Back to top Go down
AnnSmith
AnnSmith

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 3:39 pm

My dog also had those green discharges problem before and the vet recommended an eye drop brand and it was instantly removed.

Last edited by AnnSmith on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:32 pm

MOved from "Training" to "Health" forum
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks Mike, hadn't noticed that!

Maxxonl, how's your pooch been doing? Any signs of it getting better? Just sorta curious what your new vet said Wink
Back to top Go down
maxxonl

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 pm

When I went to the new vet she said it was an infection and she thought it was the steroid in the first eye drops that was delaying healing. So far so good. She still has a lot of discharge sometimes but it isn't green. The new vet was actually the vet who spayed Allie and she did a great job. Allie's trainer solved the soft poop issue. She told me boxers are sometimes allergic to chicken. I changed her to Natural Balance sweet potato and venison and I haven't had a problem since. Only one thing is when we go to the park she poops sometimes two or three times and by the time she gets to the third poop, its always diarrheaish. I guess that's marking?
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Oh well if the discharge is no longer green then that is an improvement. As for the stools softening after a few times of doing her business, that happens...well at least with my pooch it does. I've heard its normal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea   Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Puppy with green eye discharge and diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Health -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com