K9academy
Information about Feeding Raw Eggs K9acad10
K9academy
Information about Feeding Raw Eggs K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Information about Feeding Raw Eggs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

Information about Feeding Raw Eggs Vide
PostSubject: Information about Feeding Raw Eggs   Information about Feeding Raw Eggs Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Something interesting I found while searching dogforums. IMO I won't feed a dog eggs unless there is a need to but this is some interesting information for those that might need to add raw eggs to their dogs diet.

"Many clinical nutrition books discuss biotin (one of the water soluble vitamin B complex) as being an essential nutrient which can be bound by avidin, which is found in raw egg white. This binding prevents it's absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. Fortunately cooking deactivates this effect of avidin, and egg yolk is so high in biotin content that biotin deficiency does not occur when whole raw eggs are fed. So, whilst biotin deficiency is a potential problem - in reality it is unlikely to be seen in domesticated animals unless they are fed an extremely imbalanced ration that is predominantly egg white.

My dogs eat a totally raw diet and have no problem with an egg or two per week. But even when they were eating kibble I gave them eggs mixed in with their food. Healthy dogs are not harmed by raw eggs. Just be careful if your dog has a lot of allergies, feed in small quantities at first to watch for any reaction. Some owners feed the egg with the shell, some without the shell. The shell is very high in calcium and if fed with the contents of the egg, creates a very balanced phosphorus : calcium ratio. The shell softens in the dog's stomach acid and will not harm the intestines.

As for salmonella in eggs...remember that the egg comes out of the same "vent" as the waste does in a chicken. So most eggs will contain some amount of salmonella, whether they are grocery store eggs or farm fresh eggs. Dogs aren't bothered much by a small amount of salmonella as they have short digestive tracts that don't allow much breeding of bacteria to take place. Humans on the other hand are best off to cook their eggs since we have long digestive tracts that makes breeding of bacteria highly likely."
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
schnauzkyLVR

PostSubject: Re: Information about Feeding Raw Eggs   Information about Feeding Raw Eggs Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 7:50 pm

yeah, i wouldnt feed mine raw eggs either. I don't even eat them, lol...
However, i know that scrambled eggs are ok for dogs. My vet told me to give him some when he was a puppy and had an upset stomach for a while.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Information about Feeding Raw Eggs   Information about Feeding Raw Eggs Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 2:45 pm

schnauzkyLVR wrote:
yeah, i wouldnt feed mine raw eggs either. I don't even eat them, lol...
However, i know that scrambled eggs are ok for dogs. My vet told me to give him some when he was a puppy and had an upset stomach for a while.

Yes bland foods are good to give dogs when they have upset stomachs. Things like cooked rice, carrots, chicken and low fat cottage cheese are ok too.
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Information about Feeding Raw Eggs   Information about Feeding Raw Eggs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Information about Feeding Raw Eggs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Nutrition & Recipes -
Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com