K9academy
How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel K9acad10
K9academy
How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Vide
PostSubject: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Finding someone to take care of our pets as well as we do can be a tough job. For me, the most stressful part about traveling isn't the travel itself; making sure my pets are well cared for in my absence is the stressful part. Here's how to start your research and find the best option for your pets when away from home.

Here's How:

1. Decide if an in-home care giver or boarding kennel is more appropriate for your pet (and you). Would your pet prefer the activity and company of other pets as in a kennel situation, or does your pet do better in the comfort of their home and routine? Does your pet have any special medical needs (arthritis, diabetes) that would help determine what type of care would be best?

2. Ask your veterinarian, friends, and family who they recommend for pet care. Follow up and call them to find out if they are satisfied and if there is anything that you should address or watch out for. Most veterinary offices carry brochures or have personal recommendations for pet care personnel and boarding facilities. They may also be able to assist in deciding what type of care would be best for your pet.

3. Call the Better Business Bureau for prior to the final decision and make sure that there aren't any open or previous disputes or problems with the pet care business that you are considering.

More steps at http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/veterinaryqa/ht/HT_kennel.htm?nl=1
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 2:52 pm

I actually don't trust "petsitter" companies and I wont send my dogs to a kennel. Kennels are very load, and very stressful.

I have choosen to trade time with my neighbor. We both like to have our dogs at home where they have less stress.

He goes to Canada to do some fishing in Aug. and he/s gone for 10 days. During that time I watch his dogs. When i go racing during the summer I'm gone every Sunday. So he (or his son) come us and let my girls out.

It works great, and we trade it out "per visit" ... EXAMPLE: In 10 days, I visit his dogs 30 times. Over the Summer, I go to 19 race events and just a few of those go late. Basicly it all equals out ... more or less. I suggest that when every posible my solution is best for several reasons.

- Less stress for the pet
- Pets know the care giver
- Pets can visit and play with the care givers dogs
- Your dogs are in thier own home
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
schnauzkyLVR

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 4:02 pm

yeah i agree..it can be very stressful on a dog. my parents doberman had to be put in one when we left town for the year we lived far from family so he would stay there for up to a week. he hated it at first (understandable) but it was a smaller place and he grew to love the staff there and didnt resist us leaving him there.

Now that i live on the opposite coast of my parents , lol ..and have my own dog, i refuse to put him in one. In the 2.5 years ive had him, havent had to once. I have a lot of friends with small dogs like mine and they all get along, so i have a few options to call. Never ran out of them. if anything, i would just fly with my dog, but we usually just drive to visit family (from WA to UT)... but trips back east to visit my parents are usually short and i can leave him with a friend.

its much better to leave dogs with someone you know. costs less, pets are happier, and you know who you are trusting with your pet.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 pm

I agree with both you guys. A dog must be extremely stress with strangers, cages, and no familiarity whatsoever. Its a good thing I dont travel, I don't have to take our pooches to other places. Grin
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 4:21 pm

Steven_L wrote:
I agree with both you guys. A dog must be extremely stress with strangers, cages, and no familiarity whatsoever. Its a good thing I dont travel, I don't have to take our pooches to other places. Grin

It like I said in the "Puppies 1st Days" post: "Try to imagine yourself as a young child. You have just been taken away from everyone and everything you have ever known. Now you are being taken to a strange country where no one speaks your language."

Thats what your dog would be going thru ...
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Betterdog4u wrote:
Steven_L wrote:

It like I said in the "Puppies 1st Days" post: "Try to imagine yourself as a young child. You have just been taken away from everyone and everything you have ever known. Now you are being taken to a strange country where no one speaks your language."

Thats what your dog would be going thru ...

Ya once again not to mention. But I guess we have to be fair, some people really do need them and can't make arrangements with others, I'm thinking that provided that the kennel does a good job at making a dog feel comfortable and exercised so that it doesn't concentrate on being in a strange environment, then its acceptable to leave the pooch there for a few days. Unlike some dumb person (for lack of a better word) that shot his dog because he couldn't/didn't want to pay for the kennel fee No
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 4:40 pm

I have a client/friend that runs a kennel opperation. He can take 50 dogs at his peek and it takes a lot of work to take care of that meny dogs. He, his wife and his two kids do it by themselves and have for about 10 years.
Back to top Go down
Samm-ban
Forum Member
Forum Member
Samm-ban

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:34 pm

OMG

Unlike some dumb person (for lack of a better word) that shot his dog because he couldn't/didn't want to pay for the kennel fee

is this for real???
Back to top Go down
PomPom_Queen27
Junior Member: lv 4
Junior Member: lv 4
PomPom_Queen27

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:16 pm

I am against kennels and getting a petsitter, because of my dogs seperation from me anxiety. About ten years ago, my family went on a trip to visit family in southern WVA and it took a long day to get there and back and we left my dog with my grandparents. The next day when we got him back my grandmother said he cried all night and wouldn't drink, eat or go to the bathroom. We learned then that he had a seperation anxiety even with being around people he knew. So we made a deal to not take any vacations (I never had one in my life!) and always be here for the dog. Very dedicated...yes. If we didn't have a choice and we had to go somewhere over the night, I would suggest leaving your dog with someone you know like a neighbor or a family member or a really good trusted friend.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Chip was the same way for the first few times I left him with friends. After that, i left him at home and had a friend or neighbor look after him. That worked much better because he was still on his schedule and in his own home. He didnt eat as much but was much happier.

Since then I have always done it this way with no problems.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Samm-ban wrote:
OMG

Unlike some dumb person (for lack of a better word) that shot his dog because he couldn't/didn't want to pay for the kennel fee

is this for real???

Oh yes it is. I saw it in a news site, I remember reading it on a dog forum (don't remember which one) the guy apparently shot the dog because he didn't want to pay for the kennel fees...add to this that the reason he would have NEEDED the kennel was because he was going away on a cruise!!! I do believe he was charged with animal cruelty though.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Steven_L wrote:
Oh yes it is. I saw it in a news site, I remember reading it on a dog forum (don't remember which one) the guy apparently shot the dog because he didn't want to pay for the kennel fees...add to this that the reason he would have NEEDED the kennel was because he was going away on a cruise!!! I do believe he was charged with animal cruelty though.
That's INSANE!!! Someone needs to have him commited for evaluation ... Frustrated
Back to top Go down
Samm-ban
Forum Member
Forum Member
Samm-ban

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:35 pm

or just shoot him! Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel   How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Choose a Petsitter or Kennel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Miscellaneous Forums :: General Chat -
Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com