K9academy
Choosing Dog Food K9acad10
K9academy
Choosing Dog Food K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Choosing Dog Food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

Choosing Dog Food Vide
PostSubject: Choosing Dog Food   Choosing Dog Food Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Your dog adds so much to your life, and you want to feed him a healthy food, but with all of the choices out there, how do you know which food is best?

First of all, keep in mind that there is no one food that is best for every dog. There is no single food that will give every dog the brightest eyes, the shiniest coat, the most energy, and the best digestion. Dogs are individuals just like people, which means that you could feed a brand of very well-formulated food to a group of dogs and find that most of them do great on it, some not as well, and it may actually cause some gastrointestinal upset in a few dogs. Luckily, there are many well-formulated dog foods to choose from today, and it is fine to try several to determine which one works best for your dog.

Consider your dog's stage of life

Make sure that the food you choose is appropriate for your dog's stage of life. A puppy eating an adult food will not get the higher amounts of calories, protein, vitamins, and minerals he needs for proper growth. An adult dog eating puppy food is likely to become overweight. An older dog may need a senior food that is more easily digested. When it comes to nutrition, one size does not fit all.

Select a food type

People often wonder if they should feed dry food, semi-moist or canned. The answer is that it depends on the individual animal, although dry food is recommended most often. To find out how the different types of food are made, see "How Pet Foods Are Manufactured."

Look at the ingredients

High-quality ingredients are essential for a healthy food. Some economy brands of dog food are made from inexpensive ingredients that are not easily digested, and therefore, do not provide the best nutrition. While they may technically meet the legal specifications for percentages of protein, fat, carbohydrates, etc., these foods have lower energy values and lower-grade proteins. Because of this, many health-building nutrients may pass right through your dog's system without being absorbed. It also means that you have to feed larger amounts of that lower quality food to provide your pet with the same nutrition as a smaller amount of premium food. When you compare the cost of these foods on a per-serving basis, and realize how quickly you go through a bag, economy foods may actually cost more in the long run.

When you are looking for a healthy food for your dog, reviewing the list of ingredients on the back of the bag is a good place to start. By law, pet food labels must list their ingredients by weight. Look for meat, fish, egg, or some type of meat meal or fish meal as the first or second ingredient. Meat, fish, and eggs all have a high biological value, which means they have a high percentage of protein in the form of digestible, usable amino acids. For more information on ingredients, see the articles on:

Protein
Carbohydrates
Fiber
Fats

Compare the Guaranteed Analysis

The next thing to look at is the Guaranteed Analysis on the back of the bag. It is a chart that lists the percentages of various ingredients contained in that food. However, the numbers given in the Guaranteed Analysis are on an "as fed" basis and do not take into account the amount of moisture in that food. All pet foods have different levels of moisture; canned foods can have up to 80%, and dry foods can have as little as 6%. To determine the actual amount of an ingredient in a food, or to compare between brands or between wet and dry foods, the numbers need to be converted to what is called Dry Matter (DM) basis. For more information, or to see the formula used to convert to Dry Matter, see the article "Dog Food Labels."

Check for the AAFCO statement

To evaluate a particular dog food, compare the DM ingredient amounts to a nutrition chart such as the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles. Dog foods labeled as 'complete and balanced' must meet standards established by AAFCO, either by meeting a nutrient profile or by passing a feeding trial. For more information on AAFCO, see "Government Regulation of Pet Food."

Take your time in switching foods

When you have done some comparison and picked out a well-formulated food, make sure you allow ample time for your dog to make the transition from his current food to the new one. Normal bacteria in the intestine help your dog digest food. A sudden change in food can lead to changes in the number and type of these bacteria, making it harder for food to be digested, and resulting in intestinal upset. To avoid problems, switch to a new food slowly, over the course of at least 7-10 days. Start by mixing 25% new and 75% old food, and feed that for at least 3 days. If all goes well, go to 50% of each type of food for 3 days, then 75% new and 25% old for 3 days. By now, your pet should be ready to eat only the new food. If problems occur, consult your veterinarian for advice.

After you have done all you can to make sure a food is nutritionally sound, take a look at your dog after he has been on the new food for at least a month. Bright eyes, a shiny coat, good body condition (not too thin or overweight), and good energy will let you know you are doing a good job with your pet's nutrition.

http://peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659+1661&aid=2661
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
schnauzkyLVR

Choosing Dog Food Vide
PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dog Food   Choosing Dog Food Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 6:35 pm

I love how much information you post on here! im learning sooOooo much stuff on this forum! thank you! Smile
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

Choosing Dog Food Vide
PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dog Food   Choosing Dog Food Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:19 pm

This is a great article!!!

I used to tell ppl that when it came to dog food, buy the best that you can afford. I've changed my thinking a little in the past 5 years. With all of the **** on the market I now say: Dont waste you money on cheep food, you will pay for it in the long run. High quality costs a bit more but you will feed lees of it and your dog will be healthier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

Choosing Dog Food Vide
PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dog Food   Choosing Dog Food Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Betterdog4u wrote:
This is a great article!!!

I used to tell ppl that when it came to dog food, buy the best that you can afford. I've changed my thinking a little in the past 5 years. With all of the **** on the market I now say: Dont waste you money on cheep food, you will pay for it in the long run. High quality costs a bit more but you will feed lees of it and your dog will be healthier.

I agree. Dogs eat more and get less from cheap foods. I like the articles from Peteducation on nutrition, I really learned alot. I'm glad that you guy's liked them too, I'll be sure to post more in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
heartmydog
Junior Member: lv 1

Choosing Dog Food Vide
PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dog Food   Choosing Dog Food Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Great article. I feed my lab a good brand called Nature's Recipe. It is the Venison and Rice formula. Since most dogs do not have an allergy to venison, her skin allergies have gone away. Yeah!!! I also add a liquid glucosamine to her food, it is easy and it takes the guess work out of how much gluc. in her particular serving size. She takes Synflex and likes it because it is beef flavored. Both her skin and knees are doing great! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vernahll2

Choosing Dog Food Vide
PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dog Food   Choosing Dog Food Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 am

A well planned and written article. The most expensive might not necessarily be the best. One has to study the label and the contents before deciding.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogfoodcouponspro.com/
jwlindakay

Choosing Dog Food Vide
PostSubject: Best Dog Food Web Sites   Choosing Dog Food Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 am

I have used two web sites to help choose a good dog food: http://drydogfood.bravehost.com and www.dogfoodadvisor.com. Both have a wealth of information as well as rating dry and canned dog foods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Choosing Dog Food Vide
PostSubject: Re: Choosing Dog Food   Choosing Dog Food Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Choosing Dog Food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Nutrition & Recipes -
Free forum | Animals | Dogs | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com