K9academy
exciting night out with Tania# K9acad10
K9academy
exciting night out with Tania# K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

exciting night out with Tania#

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru

exciting night out with Tania# Vide
PostSubject: exciting night out with Tania#   exciting night out with Tania# Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:57 pm

i had a call the other day from a very good friend of mine who was having trouble with her puppy being food aggressive. puppy is 13 weeks old border collie. most strange to be food aggressive at such a young age. anyway....after much chatting i suggested i took Tania down with me to meet the puppy, see the family in action so to speak and that between us we would come up with a management plan for the family to follow to try and rectify it.

WoW and WoW again - Tania was so tuned in to the dog from the outset it was a priveledge to watch and be part of. The couple who have bought the dog have two very young children so it was imperative for safety reasons to get this dog sorted asap. We spent in total 2 hrs with the family. Tania did most of the assessing and talking while i acted as assistant so to speak. She was so thorough and came out with loads of questions about the dog that i am not sure i would have thought of had i been there on my own. We came to the conclusion that as the puppy had been the last of the litter to get a home the chances were it had got used to fighting its brothers and sisters for food and had then had to fight its mum for food. We saw a video that the family had the good sense to take of the puppy growling, snapping, lunging and trying to bite the owner. it was full teeth, lips back, ears back kind of biting but with tail between the legs which confirmed the fear part of it we had suspected.

Tania was quick to point out the benefits of clicker training. Between us we made my friends husband be a puppy and perform for Tania without commands, just by reacting to the clicker and working out what she wanted him to do. He said afterwards the exercise had totally made him understand how the clicker got through to the puppy and he was up for anything after that. The pair of the owners were armed with clickers and cheese. Before too long the puppy would allow us all to touch her food bowl, she had a go at nipping Tania the once but that was because 4 of us were in a tiny kitchen and she got a bit intimidated.

i learned so much about how to communicate with people who have never had a dog before and i felt priveledged to watch at close quarters such a knowledgeable trainer in action. We left the family with a printed out plan of action and will be returning in a few days to check on their progress.
Great night out, great learning experience, great to be able to help my friends with my friend. bounce
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: exciting night out with Tania#   exciting night out with Tania# Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Congrats .... it's really fun to see it all go together like that!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru

PostSubject: Re: exciting night out with Tania#   exciting night out with Tania# Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:20 pm

first time for me michael.... in a professional setting at least.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: exciting night out with Tania#   exciting night out with Tania# Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Thats definitely so cool! And I agree the clicker is a good way to go, especially with a border collie as they are so intelligent and eager to please!
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru

PostSubject: Re: exciting night out with Tania#   exciting night out with Tania# Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 pm

you aint kidding..... i was amazed at how quickly she got the concept. i knew from experience with lucy that it works but oh my this dog is a fast learner. i got a lovely email from the family last night saying how much the dog had improved and that she was now watching both of the adults (who each have a clicker and a pocket of cheese) and following them all over the place to see when the next click is coming. ~good stuff~
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: exciting night out with Tania#   exciting night out with Tania# Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:34 pm

lucysnewmum wrote:
you aint kidding..... i was amazed at how quickly she got the concept. i knew from experience with lucy that it works but oh my this dog is a fast learner. i got a lovely email from the family last night saying how much the dog had improved and that she was now watching both of the adults (who each have a clicker and a pocket of cheese) and following them all over the place to see when the next click is coming. ~good stuff~

Yep thats a Border Collie for ya! Its very easy for them to get into trouble if they don't have structured exercise and training. Glad things worked out so well on your first case!
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
schnauzkyLVR
Academy Guru
Academy Guru
schnauzkyLVR

PostSubject: Re: exciting night out with Tania#   exciting night out with Tania# Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 7:15 pm

That's awesome! Smile congrats!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exciting night out with Tania#   exciting night out with Tania# Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

exciting night out with Tania#

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Miscellaneous Forums :: General Chat -
Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com