K9academy
Be an Advocate for your dog K9acad10
K9academy
Be an Advocate for your dog K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Be an Advocate for your dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

Be an Advocate for your dog Vide
PostSubject: Be an Advocate for your dog   Be an Advocate for your dog Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:08 pm

http://dogstardaily.com/blogs/standing-your-dog-trainer

Great article I just read right now! Talks about how its our responsibility to stand up for our dogs when we think that what a trainer, groomer, vet or canine professional is doing something that is wrong or with which we don't agree with.

The general idea is that people that go to dog classes think that the person there teaching....well is there because they know what they are doing. But don't forget that they are human too, and its always a possibility that a dog trainer is not totally 'intuned' with a dogs body language.

So remember that this is one of our reponsibilities and that if its going to save your dog from unnecessary pain/discomfort then its well worth the few moments of feeling "socially uncomfortable".
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
lucysnewmum
Academy Guru
Academy Guru

PostSubject: Re: Be an Advocate for your dog   Be an Advocate for your dog Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 9:04 pm

i second that... slightly different scenario but i had a bloke the other day, someone i know who has had some very large, bull headed Dobermans, tried to Alpha Roll Stella!!!!!
WTF! !! what he does with his dogs is his business but he sure as hell aint doing it with mine! let alone a foster dog with issues!!! i demanded he let her go immediately, which he did, and appologised. i reminded him that not all trainers agree with the dominance/alpha roll theories and that he was wrong to assume that it was ok to practise his beliefs on a dog that wasnt his, without permission from the person holding the lead. (thats the polite version anyways!!!LOL)
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Be an Advocate for your dog   Be an Advocate for your dog Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:53 pm

lucysnewmum wrote:
i second that... slightly different scenario but i had a bloke the other day, someone i know who has had some very large, bull headed Dobermans, tried to Alpha Roll Stella!!!!!
WTF! !! what he does with his dogs is his business but he sure as hell aint doing it with mine! let alone a foster dog with issues!!! i demanded he let her go immediately, which he did, and appologised. i reminded him that not all trainers agree with the dominance/alpha roll theories and that he was wrong to assume that it was ok to practise his beliefs on a dog that wasnt his, without permission from the person holding the lead. (thats the polite version anyways!!!LOL)

You go Gilly!!! Grin Cool I would tell someone off if they tried to roll Junior on his back as well! Sheesh the nerves of some people Seriously?
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Be an Advocate for your dog   Be an Advocate for your dog Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 7:57 pm

OMG, me too Steven!!! I might even "swing" on him!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Be an Advocate for your dog   Be an Advocate for your dog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Be an Advocate for your dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Miscellaneous Forums :: General Chat -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com