K9academy
VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] K9acad10
K9academy
VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

would U adopt a rehabilitated dog - no way, maybe, it depends, or SURE!
not of a bully-breed or mix
VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_lcap0%VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
not of a guarding-breed or mix
VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_lcap0%VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
it would depend on the individual dog
VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_lcap60%VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
maybe - with follow-up support
 0% [ 0 ]
previously adopted a rehabbed-dog
 0% [ 0 ]
SURE and i have met rehabbed dogs
VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_lcap20%VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
SURE and i live-with a rehabbed dog!
VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_lcap20%VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

leashedForLife
Forum Member
Forum Member
leashedForLife

VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] Vide
PostSubject: VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles]   VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am

http://tinyurl.com/2b78rv4
'Can U teach a bad-dog new tricks?' - PARADE mag. article

http://tinyurl.com/235w39g
'where are they now?' - 20 slides of the over-40 dogs

not all were fought; but all were neglected, under-socialized, many brutalized.
a new book is coming out that covers the subject in depth, but these two articles are clearly evidence:
these dogs are the ultimate proof of k9-resilience and forgiveness; they are a living rebuke to the folks who say, "impossible", "pointless", "waste of time", and "why bother?"

granted, it was only * vicks * deep purse that made their eval, shipping, B-Mod, vet-care and recovery possible - this was neither cheap nor simple -
BUT it was definitely worthwhile, and shattered the S-O-P policy of "put em all down", which is the fate of 99.99% of all dogs seized in fight-cases --
even puppies or dogs used solely as breeding stock, or bait-dogs --- they are ALL generally destroyed.

municipal-authorities, state and Federal agencies, and rescue groups can no longer claim that ALL former-fighters and fighting-line dogs are hopeless, 'must be' killed to protect the public, or are impossible to repair... because these dogs are still very much alive, the huge majority are in pet-homes, and they are doing just fine, thanks -
many are therapy-pets, a few are literacy-dogs, several are star athletes.
the smallest fraction are the dogs in permanent custodial care - which again, * vicks * purse financed. but IMO that is only fair; these dogs and uncounted predecessors made him huge sums of money, by fighting, bleeding, breeding and dying; the unknown dogs who shredded the painted-concrete pool lining, dying while hooked-up to a car-battery and struggling to escape drowning, may never be avenged...
justice for the dogs hung, beaten and otherwise killed is not possible. but by DoG, we can make the perpetrator PAY for the care of the badly-damaged
survivors - for the rest of their natural lives - and IMO, that is only fair.

i hope that law-enforcement took note - and that more dog-fighters are forced to pay post-conviction for the care, rehab and if need be, custodial costs of shelter, care and vet-needs for life, of the surviving dogs.

that could be the very-best deterrent of all - since DOG-FIGHTING like PUPPY-MILLS is all about the $$.
they cannot be defeated by appeals to conscience or morality, or severe legal consequences?
fine - then we can bankrupt the %$#$*&@! and dissuade others from taking up the so-called 'sport', or the 'industry' of commercial-scale, livestock-style dog-breeding.
works for me! cheers sunny

sic em! Just watching cheers

- terry

Last edited by leashedForLife on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad line-break, sorry)
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles]   VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Hmmm very interesting solution.... I think a good one too. To make dog fighters and puppy millers pay for the care of the dogs they've damaged. I see nothing wrong with that! And it sure wouldn't fall under 'crule and unusual' punishment....

I think I would adopt a rehabilitated dog, of course much would depend on the individual and my current circumstance. I currently own a dog that was abused when she was smaller. And its been hard, but with patience you can sure help them out!
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles]   VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm

I have no problem with a rehab dog and I would adopt a rehabilitated dog if i had the room. But I would have to make sure that the dog in question would fit my lifestyle, and it would depend on if the individual dog and i "hit it off" ... So many ppl adopt with thier emotions and not thier common sence.

The other factor would be WHO did the rehab. Org's like Dogtown have the ability to do the COMPLETE job and dont have to hurry or cut corners. I think this is the most important thing in doing rehab!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles]   VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:22 am

I think the most interesting dog I've ever adopted (and then rehomed, all planned out ahead of time) was a rottie pup (about 15 months) used as a bait dog for a dog fighting ring in GA. He's a fabulous dog and I would have kept him myself except that I already had 7 at the time and 2 fosters. I'll admit that the first few days were rough, but once he understood what was expected of him, it was wonderful working with him. I still visit him and I always get the same enthusiastic welcome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles]   VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VICK-tory dogs: *vicks* ex-fighters - where R they? [2 articles]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Training and Behavior -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com