K9academy
Baloo practicing with weave poles K9acad10
K9academy
Baloo practicing with weave poles K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Baloo practicing with weave poles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

Baloo practicing with weave poles Vide
PostSubject: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm

https://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z45/adhawes_photos/?action=view&current=MVI_1558.mp4

Very slow but steady. Just watching
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:28 pm

Cool, He'll get faster!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:27 am

He can go fast, but then he gets sloppy, so we've slowed him back down to a crawl.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Ann wrote:
He can go fast, but then he gets sloppy, so we've slowed him back down to a crawl.

Good Idea. I'll bet that we'd be supprised to find out the numbers on how many ppl do not think about backing up the training. Instead, the get angry or just stop completely. (I have a neighbor that falls into the latter group) ... Baloo practicing with weave poles 258695

Keep up the good work!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 7:09 am

Baloo looks to me for conformation that he's done what I wanted and done it right. You can see it in the video. No treat, no toy, he just looks and listens. When a dog focuses on you that way, the rest is so easy.

I like finding ways to communicate with my dogs. I learn from them, they learn from me. Grin
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Ann wrote:
Baloo looks to me for conformation that he's done what I wanted and done it right. You can see it in the video. No treat, no toy, he just looks and listens. When a dog focuses on you that way, the rest is so easy.

I like finding ways to communicate with my dogs. I learn from them, they learn from me. Grin
In the past few weeks we have been working on "watch me" again ...

It always worked well with Neka, but for some reason I got away from it with Patchs.

She has a very short attention span. She does great indoors but I need to be able to get her more focused on me when we are outside with distractions. Admittly she's much better compared to last year at this time, but 80% recall of leash is still not good enough.

My biggest challenge is to become more interesting than the cats and squirrels in our neighborhood!!! ROFL Baloo practicing with weave poles 258695 Nervous
Back to top Go down
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:36 pm

I would say Baloo is probably about 95% reliable on recalls. I don't believe a dog is ever 100%, or if they are, that we should bank on it. He sometimes hesitates or ignores me for a few seconds when I KNOW he heard me. Realistically, that's not bad for an 18 month old, but it is why I say only 95%.
The way I teach recall is to carry something of value with me and run like hell, yelling out their name. If the dog comes running and stops and sits by me when I stop, I make a HUGE deal of it. They'll always come when you take off running like that. The stop and focus on me is what matters most though. Eventually they come running even if you were just standing still and called their name. It's the easiest way I know of to teach an older adopted dog recall. I've tried the long leash thing and don't care for it because I think it can teach a dog to only come if they feel a tug on the collar. Just my thoughts.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:00 am

Ann wrote:
I've tried the long leash thing and don't care for it because I think it can teach a dog to only come if they feel a tug on the collar. Just my thoughts.... Smile
I have always felt the same way as you. I do use the long lead in the beginning and reward with a small treat or a toy. But once they get the "come command" part of it, I get rid of the lead.
Back to top Go down
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Cool Good job Baloo!

Yeah first work on accuracy and then later work on speed, thats a good idea.

The long leash recall technique is probably something you want to use a last resort if all better options are used up, but it should only be used at the begining of training since its a Physical Modeling technique it doesn't do much in terms of letting the dog think for itself. However it does get the idea of what it is you want from him/her.

But like I said there are much better options to try first.
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Ann
Academy Professor
Academy Professor
Ann

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 5:07 am

He's getting faster, but everytime he starts skipping poles, I slow him down again. I know he'll never zip through them like a smaller dog can, but his overall time on the course is not too bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baloo practicing with weave poles   Baloo practicing with weave poles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baloo practicing with weave poles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Pictures and Videos -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com