K9academy
Excitable during car ride... K9acad10
K9academy
Excitable during car ride... K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Excitable during car ride...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
mcrean
Junior Member: lv 1

Excitable during car ride... Vide
PostSubject: Excitable during car ride...   Excitable during car ride... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi everybody. During car rides, when our 3 year old Malinois female observes other dogs being walked by their owners, she becomes quite excited which results in her whimpering, barking and running around the back of the SUV while attempting to keep the other dog in sight. Our 4 year old boy is just as calm as the day is long and sits and observes.

Any suggestions as to the proper way to deal with this behavior?

Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Excitable during car ride...   Excitable during car ride... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Patchs was that way too when riding in the back seat. I now put her in front with a short leash on her. When I see a dog coming (depending on her level of excitement) I tell her "easy" or "Leave IT - STAY" and that keeps her from going crazy. When she is COMPLETELY calm, I praise her so she knows that is what I want from her.

You'll need to experiment with your dog to find the trigger that works for her, but try to ALWAYS keep her calm and dont allow her excitement to build. Its much eaiser to control from a low level and very hard to do once she goes nuts. You may want to begin training in a more controled enviroment so you can control the stimulant source.

Try sitting in your car on the side of the road and have a friend walk there dog toward you from a great distance. As long as your dog stays calm , have the friend move closer. When she starts to show excitement have the frined move away until your dog calms. This may take several sessions, or even days or weeks but be paitent, it will work.

BTW, the Leave IT command is not just for making your dog drop something or not touch something ... I have always used it as more of an "Ignore IT completely" command.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
mcrean

PostSubject: Re: Excitable during car ride...   Excitable during car ride... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 8:12 am

Thank you Michael Smile I had not thought of having someone else with a canine help in this way.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

PostSubject: Re: Excitable during car ride...   Excitable during car ride... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:30 pm

mcrean wrote:
Thank you Michael Smile I had not thought of having someone else with a canine help in this way.

Yes, it works well. Just set up a few hand signals before you start. That way you dont have to yell across the neighborhood. That can sometimes excite your dog as well. I hold my hand UP high if I want them to come closer and hold my arm out straight if I want them to move back. Remember, have the person move in SLOWLY ... (one or two steps at a time). It also helps a great deal to use a "trigger dog" that is calm and has a laid back personality. Older or very well socialized dogs are often better.

Once you get the issue more under control, do everything you can to socialize her every day. With Neka, I tryed to introduce her to one NEW dog everyday. I even took her to the outdoor farmers markets and we just sat on the curb or a bench and let ppl pass us. After awhile, it was no big deal when ppl and other dogs passed by. Once this was accomplished, we moved in and started meeting other dogs face to face.

Keep in mind that this took a full summer to complete. Paitence, Paitence, Paitence !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com
Steven_L
Admin
Admin
Steven_L

PostSubject: Re: Excitable during car ride...   Excitable during car ride... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:34 pm

I think Mike explained it well Grin You can't go wrong with distraction and dessensitization!
Back to top Go down
http://k9domain.web.officelive.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excitable during car ride...   Excitable during car ride... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Excitable during car ride...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Training and Behavior -
Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com