K9academy
Terrified dog. K9acad10
K9academy
Terrified dog. K9acad10
K9academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Terrified dog.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Debbie55
Junior Member: lv 1
Junior Member: lv 1

Terrified dog. Vide
PostSubject: Terrified dog.   Terrified dog. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Hello all.
I am looking to adopt a dog at the ASPCA. She is a couple of years old and was born there. She is a Shar Pei hound mix, large dog. She loves dogs, but is afraid of everybody and thing else. I actually sit with her for about 3 hours. She would finally take treats from me, she would sit and lay,and I could finally pet her back without her trembling. She would not make eye contact, but kept looking at the kennel where her kennel mate was. She has been adopted twice and brought back twice. The last time was for six months.One time was with people that had kids and I could tell when young boys came around she would go to the back of me. I have a small older poodle that is on my lap most of the time, would that help reassure her ? Or is there a possability that she will always be the way she is at this age. I don't want to be the third person to return her, but I do want eventually have a loving dog that we can have a good relationship with each other.
Thanks.
Debbie.
Back to top Go down
Betterdog4u
Betterdog4u

Terrified dog. Vide
PostSubject: Re: Terrified dog.   Terrified dog. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 10:10 pm

I love working with fearful dogs. Fearful dogs are a lot of extra work and take large amounts of time. My GSD, Neka was very fearful when I first got her. It took me two years to get her to completely come out of her shell. But the day it happened, it was the best day of my life. I experienced the feeling of perfect joy!!! (think of your "best ever" day ... then multiply that by 10). It was incredible!!!

OK, back to reality. It sounds like she is starting to trust you so thats a good sign. You will need to work with her every minute of every day. You will need to expose her to everything in a controled enviroment for quite a while. Even something as simple as a car door closing or dropping a napkin on the floor can cause fear.

An older, calm and confident dog can be a great help to a fearful dog. The older dog can be a great mentor and dogs learn from other dogs much faster than they do from humans. But you must realize that you have to introduce them while the new dog is fearful. This CAN be a problem. You may want to introduce them in a nutrial location to see if there are any issues.

The most important thing you will ever do for this dog is to create mutual trust and then a bond of friendship with her. If you get her, plan to take a few days off to spend every moment of the day with her. Id go so far as to throw a sleeping bag on the floor and spend the first 24 hrs on the floor with her. During these 1st few days, you need to watch her, and see what she likes and dislikes. She will also be watching you!

And remember, you need to do everything in a positive and non threatening manor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ABETTERDOG4U.com

Terrified dog.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
K9academy :: Dog Forums :: Dog Training and Behavior -
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com